So just as I thought that Keeley's colic was getting better it took a dive into the deep. It is worse than it has ever been. I took her back into the doctors because I thought something had to be wrong. She startles and then precedes to scream several times a day. Some days it is manageable but the past three have not been. Cry is upwards of 6-8 hours a day. I'm losing my mind. The doctor has given her medicine but unlike the colic she use to have it isn't at a predictable time anymore. So it is hard for me to guess when to give her medicine to avoid the fit. I'm going to try a new swaddling blanket to see if it helps to keep her trapped so she will at least sleep some.
So here are my worries/problems.
The crying. . .any remedies or suggestions to help her settle down?
Sleep. . .because she screams so much she doesn't sleep hardly at all. When she does sleep she startles every 15 minutes or so. Yesterday Keeley only got 2 hours of sleep from 10 am to 9 pm.
What do I do?
You poor thing! I'm not a mom, so unfortunately, I don't have much advice! Ha. I guess all I can say is take care of yourself thru this as well. It's got to be very exhausting for you too, get in some relaxation time for you, so that Keeley can feel your calmness. Again, I dont know what I'm talking about... YOu know how animals get when they sense your panic or anxiety? it only makes them act up. Maybe babies are similar? Sorry I'm not much help. Take care! xoxo janelle
ReplyDeleteI agree with Janelle. Kids can sense anxiety. If you have a good friend that can take her for a bit, she may calm down. Deon's boy, Conner, was colicy and I went over and held him for a bit and he calmed down because I wasn't as stressed (this is when I only had one :)) Unfortunately not everything works for everyone, and sometimes nothing works. But I hope it ends soon. I love the pro. pictures from Idaho, they are sooo precious.
ReplyDeleteBrad had colic and the only way he would sleep longer than an hour was to sleep in one of those vibrating chairs. Then we changed his formula to nutramagin as well as nursing. It all seemed to work. Either that or he grew out of it. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHey! I found your blog! Shoot me an email and I will invite you to read ours. snshnrn@hotmail.com
ReplyDeleteRebecca Newcomer
My daughter is 4 months old and she got out of the colic stage around 3 months. It was a nightmare. Crying for hours a day.I worked on a schedule with her and that started to help. Then, I think she just grew out of it. I hope it gets better for you. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteMeg, I am so sad to hear she is having such a hard time. Does she cry like Nathan did? Have you tried the "nathan swing"? if nothing else it will get rid of any love handles you may have. LOL I really don't know what to say, you know me...I'm all about a routine. With Kate's colic it has been a lot harder to keep her on a schedule than it was for me to have Austin on one, but I truly feel that she is happier because she has the consistance that a schedule provides. Another thought, have you tried the 5 s's? I don't know a lot about it but Kensi was telling us about it once with Nathans: swaddle, suck, shhh, shake, and sway (I think that's the 5) anyway she could probably help you out more with that if you wanted. Remember how we would swaddle Austin up so tight LOL, well we have to do that with Kate too because she always startles herself. If we don't wrap he up good enough she pulls out of it and as soon as her arms are free she manages to wake herself up. If we go in and re-wrap her, she'll go back to sleep. I don't know if any of this has helped, just try to get some rest - it's true that babies can tell if you are tense. When Kate was crying none stop for like 2 weeks my mom and I would switch off holding her and it would totally help. When the "new" person got her, she would totally calm down because the other person was calm. Yikes, sorry this is so long - give me a call and we can chat. Love you and miss you guys so much.
ReplyDeleteMegan...trey was the same way! I remember calling my mom and telling her "I don't like him mom!" It really wears on your nerves! My doctor gave us a muscle relaxer. I know that sounds a bit drastic but, it totally helped. He was like Keeley and would sleep maybe a hour or so a day! After we got our hands on the medicine he slept for hours and was a great baby. We only had to use the medicine for about a week a couple times a day. Most people say that you just have to wait it out and they get over it at about 3 months! When I heard that I wanted to pull my hair out!:)
ReplyDeleteMy advice is to make sure you are getting breaks! The more you take care of yourself the better you will be able to handle her...easier said than done, yes I konw! good luck hun!
Megan...trey was the same way! I remember calling my mom and telling her "I don't like him mom!" It really wears on your nerves! My doctor gave us a muscle relaxer. I know that sounds a bit drastic but, it totally helped. He was like Keeley and would sleep maybe a hour or so a day! After we got our hands on the medicine he slept for hours and was a great baby. We only had to use the medicine for about a week a couple times a day. Most people say that you just have to wait it out and they get over it at about 3 months! When I heard that I wanted to pull my hair out!:)
ReplyDeleteMy advice is to make sure you are getting breaks! The more you take care of yourself the better you will be able to handle her...easier said than done, yes I konw! good luck hun!
p.s. I am sure you have but have you tried giving her a blessing??:)
ReplyDeleteI hope your little one is doing better for you, Conner went through the same thing, he would only sleep for about 45 minutes at a time at night I literally felt like I was going insane. It did get better but I found out things later that I wish I would have known at the time. If she is still having problems call me and I can tell you a couple of things doctors and nurses have told me to do.
ReplyDelete