90% of government funded studies found significant adverse effects that include: early onset of puberty, and stimulation of mammary gland development in females
- changes in gender specific behavior
- changes in hormones (related to increased risk for cancer)
- increased prostate size
- decreased sperm production
- altered immune function
- behavioral effect including hyperactivity, increased aggressiveness, impaired learning and other changes in behavior
Canada has already pulled all of the defective products from there shelves and recalled much of the product. The US has decided to allow all products to fade out. However, they have know of the problem (as far as I found documents) since 2003. Apparently it takes longer than 5 years to change.
Plastics to Avoid for baby bottles, sippy cups, water bottles and Tupperware
- Any that say #3, 6, 7, V, PS, OTHER on the bottom on the plastic
- Anything that is Polycarbonate
- Bottles to Avoid: Advent, Dr. Browns, Evenflow (clear) First Years, Playtex, Vent Aire, Sassy, TupperCare (this is a list from a few years ago so if they have changed there plastic it may be fine but if not get rid of them, I know that I'm returning my Advent bottles to Target because they are still using PC)
- Sippy Cups to Avoid: Gerber Susy Zoo and Sippy Snaker, Gerber soft starter
- Use #1 and #2 plastic bottles once then dispose
- Most hard clear plastics are made of PC so avoid those unless they state that they are made with non-polycarbonate product
- Any plastic that is labeled #1, #2, PETE, HDPE (for one time use) or #4, #5 , LDPE, PP(for multiple use)
- Don't heat liquids in plastics (easier said than done but as least use the safer plastic when you have to or if you baby will on take a PC bottle heat in another container and transfer)
- Soft plastic bottles that are colored or opaque.
- Well that is up to you but the sister in my ward called Gerber spoke to them. They said they would refund her money for all the Gerber bottles she owned. Tis is her 5 child so some of them she has had for a while. You might try it as well!
THANKS FOR THE INFO MEG
ReplyDeleteI actually heard about this from people at work. It's really interesting, and very good to know in case we ever have a little one. When are you due? So your coming back home with the baby? How long are you going to be back for?
ReplyDeleteI have SOO many questions since I haven't seen you in like...5 years?
But I will add you to my blog list of friend!!
Thanks for the comment about my little one! She's a lot of fun! Girls are the best but that's all I know at this point. What's your due date? Good luck with everything when the time comes!
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post. I looked it up and called some companies... everything I have is good. Glad I nursed though, just in case.
ReplyDelete