Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Grow Board

**I have meant to get this posted for over a month but finally I had enough help to get some good pictures. **

Mark is amazing at word work. One of the gifts you get when you get married is a piece of woodwork from him. For the last six months or so we had been bugging him getting ours. While we were visiting in October Matt started to pester again. This is how the conversation went.

Matt: "Dad, when are we going to get our wood piece?"
Mark: nothing
Matt: "Meg wants a grow board, like Heidi got but I want something cool."
Mark: smirks "I'll be right back, don't tell Mom."


Mark returns with this masterpiece.


It was suppose to be our Christmas present but we bugged him so much he finally gave in. Needless to say it is a grow board and extremely "cool." It is a Roberts tradition to have grow boards so I'm excited to have that for our kids as well.

A little history behind the details on the grow board. The idea is inspired from the Book of Mormon. There is a story about the tree of life which is the direction that we should direct our lives to return to Heavenly Father. If you hold to the iron rod then you will be able to get to the tree of life. So, the rod on the side is the iron rod and the globe is the Urim and Thummin which is a compass that only worked when it held by a righteous prophet. Here is the link to the story if you are interested in reading it. 1 Nephi Chapter 8

Now it is hanging and has the first mark on it! (This is Keeley's new face that she makes and I love it!)


6 comments:

  1. Oh I love that face! And your board looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tradition! And I can see why you love that face, too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeley looks adorable. That is a great tradition. That's the best looking grow chart I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea! It's really cool when something special like that is a family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing. I will have to talk mark into making us one. :) I have wanted one for a while. I need to get one before my kids get too big.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! We always love to hear from our friends and family